Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Book Review: "Castaways of the Flying Dutchman" by Brian Jacques

Refuge in a Book Book Review: Castaways of the Flying Dutchman by Brian Jacques Castaways of the Flying Dutchman
SPOIL-FREE SUMMARY

After Ben runs away and joins the Flying Dutchman, he accidentally ends up with immortality, and only his best friend, his dog, to keep him company in his travels. Eventually he arrives in a small British village, where he makes friends with some of the residents, and learns that the village is set to be destroyed.

CAST OF CHARACTERS

Ben starts off as a victim, bullied and rather weak, but grows into a hero. Because of his age, he has almost a fatherly way with people, especially Amy and Alex. And although he seems all smiles and jokes with Neb, he often flashes back to his time on the Flying Dutchman, getting lost in his past.

Neb is black Labrador that Ben rescues from starvation. Granted the ability to communicate, the two work together in unraveling the mystery of the village. Neb also teaches Ben to have a sense of humor about life.

Alex and Amy are a pair of siblings who befriend Ben and try to help him save the village. Alex is lacking in confidence, and admires Ben when he stands up to a local gang. Amy is rather smart always supports her brother.

Mrs. Winn is the woman who lets Ben and Neb stay at her home. She also informs them of the man, Obadiah Smithers, who plans to destroy the town. She says she owns most of the village but has no proof, setting Ben off on a quest to save it.

Wilf is the leader of the Grange gang, where he bullies other children. He is also the son of Obadiah Smithers. He was more of a nuisance than a threat, but he does serve to cause Alex to develop.

STRUCTURE

The story is set up into three parts, the Ship, the Shepherd, and the Village. The Ship being the prologue, or origin story of how Ben ended up on the Flying Dutchman and how he ended up with immortality. The Shepherd is essentially how Ben deals with his new life, being taken in by an old shepherd and healing from the tragedy of the ship.

PACING

From the title and the cover, you might think this is an action/adventure story. But it's really more of a mystery story, full of clues that are gradually exposed. And since the actual main story doesn't start until the third part: the Village, chapter 11, page 81, pacing is not it's strength. Although oddly enough, I didn't feel the story slow down until I was much further in. I fully enjoyed learning about how Ben ended up on the ship and meeting Neb. As well as his time with the shepherd. But halfway through the main plot, the Village, I got restless. I understand it's a mystery story, not an action story, but I felt some action would have greatly improved the story.

BEN & NEB

Ben and his dog have the ability to communicate. This was one of my favorite aspects of the story, as most of my childhood stories involved talking animals. Neb the dog always has a witty observation and I loved how they met and became friends under sober circumstances (Ned being starved and Ben being trapped on the ship). And it was usually their communication that ended up making me smile or laugh as I read. Jacques sense of humor really shines through this relationship.

THE VILLAINS

Obadiah Smithers actually had his own chapters, where he saw his perspective. And later when he sends his thugs to take care of problems. But I found them more comical then threatening.

There is also the Grange gang, a group of kids that regularly bully Alex and Amy, and don't hesitate to bully Ben. Besides the pacing in the latter part of the story, it's really my only other critique. I found myself speed reading through the parts with the thugs, and even the chapters from Obadiah's perspective. He didn't have any depth, so I didn't get why I needed to see his point of view.

CONCLUSION

Jacques has created an original story with a likable main character as well as a unique sense of humor. And although I don't mind the pacing in the first part of the book, it weighed me down halfway through. And I never really felt he was in danger from the Grange Gang, or the thugs. I would recommend reading it mainly for the main character, and the relationship between him and Neb. I give “Castaways of the Flying Dutchman” three stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment